CONOR MCGREGOR insists fighting is still what he loves ‘to do the most’ ahead of his eagerly-anticipated return to the octagon.
And The Notorious insists he’s fully focused on fighting[/caption]
The glitz and the glamour of superstardom were responsible for drawing McGregor‘s attention away from the cage for the last few years, which he’s used to amass a huge empire.
But The Notorious, 32, is adamant his dedication to the sport that brought him global fame is back to what it once was.
The Irishman said: “I’m proud of my accomplishments. I’m a veteran now, I’ve gone through it all.
“I’ve been on every stage on there, every situation. There’s a lot of dedication and a lot of sacrifices that goes into this game.
“But make no mistake, competing inside the octagon is what I love to do the most.
“More than anything, more than any fame. Competing under those bright lights is the true test of your character.”
CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: GET £10 FREE BONUS WITH NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED
McGregor, the UFC‘s first simultaneous two-division champion, suffered a brutal second-round KO loss in his January rematch with Poirier in Abu Dhabi.
That fateful night at the Etihad Arena still hurts the pride of Dublin, who is champing at the bit to exact revenge on his fellow southpaw.
He said: “I lost that night, it stung. And I must get that back. Now I have an opportunity to get my revenge.”
Defeat to Poirier was McGregor’s third in his last six octagon outings and stretched his winless run at lightweight just over four years.
And the UFC’s poster boy plans to get back in the win column in spectacular fashion.
Earlier this month, he told Fox Sports: “I’m in great condition already. I beat him in the original bout [in 2014].
Most read in MMA
“I lost in the rematch. And then we’ve got trilogy, I’ve got a few little adjustments to make.
“I feel very, very confident. I’m very focused and driven.
“And I’ll go in there and put on one hell of a performance and get it back on July 10.”
But Poirier, also 32, is planning to turn in a repeat performance, telling ESPN: “I’m gonna stop Conor again.
“July 10, I’m gonna get my hand raised and I’m gonna finish Conor McGregor again.”