THIS week, here are two of my family’s favourite Mexican-inspired recipes. The kids love my yummy burritos.
Make freezable guacamole by mashing or blending together avocado, coriander, chilli and lime juice. Use an ice-cream scoop to put dollops on a baking tray then pop in the freezer to flash-freeze for 1 hour until hard. Transfer to a bag in the freezer and defrost when needed. Sombrero optional!
My yummy burritos will delight your kids[/caption]
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 3 chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g rice
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 400g tin refried beans
- 260g jar salsa
- 58g chopped frozen onions
- 60g cheese, grated
- Cook the chicken in a frying pan with the oil for 10-12 minutes over a medium heat. Allow this to cool while getting everything else ready.
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions, then allow to cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- If you plan to freeze your tortillas, you need everything to be at room temperature as you assemble them.
- This will stop you getting soggy burritos when you defrost them.
- Take 1 tortilla and in the middle add 1 tbsp beans, some chicken, 1 tbsp salsa, a scattering of onion and a sprinkling of the cheese.
- Wrap the burrito by tucking up the ends then folding over to keep the filling from falling out.
- Ready to freeze: Wrap each burrito in foil and add to a labelled sealable freezer bag.
- Ready to eat: Remove the foil from the frozen burrito and reheat in the microwave for 4 minutes or in the oven at 200C/180C fan/gas mark 6 for 30 minutes, turning halfway through. Serve piping hot.
Most read in Fabulous
- Follow The Batch Lady on Instagram and Facebook @thebatchlady.
- You can watch video of Suzanne preparing her recipes at thesun.co.uk/batchlady.