SUMMER will soon be on its way and what better way to get in the mood than by whipping up a sticky caramel apple cake?
This recipe is really easy to make and is brilliant to have in the freezer for when you fancy a sweet treat.
Sticky Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake
This sticky caramel apple cake almost looks too good to eat[/caption]
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
YOU WILL NEED:
For the base:
- 2 large cooking apples
- 75g soft butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
For the cake:
- 115g caster sugar
- 115g butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 9in cake tin with greaseproof paper or a cake tin liner.
- Peel the apples and cut them into four. Take each section of apple, remove the core and slice thinly.
- In a small bowl, mix the soft butter with the brown sugar and spread the mix on to the bottom of your lined tin. Now arrange the apple slices on top of this.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter for the cake batter with an electric whisk, until light and creamy. Add in the eggs and vanilla essence and mix.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder, mix, then add the milk. Mix until everything is combined.
- Pour the cake batter over the top of the apples and place in the oven for 25 minutes or until the cake is cooked through. To test this, insert a knife into the top of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Leave the cake to sit in its tin for 30 minutes for the caramel to set, before turning the cake over on to a plate or board to give you your upside-down dessert.
The Batch Lady’s recipes are so simple to follow[/caption]
Most read in Fabulous
Ready to Freeze: Once the cake has cooled, put it straight in the freezer as a whole cake or in slices.
Ready to eat: Take the cake out of the freezer and let it defrost (the whole cake will take around 2 hours to defrost fully). Heat through in the microwave or serve cold with cream or ice cream.
- The Batch Lady: Healthy Family Favourites (£20, HQ) is out now. Also see The Batch Lady Meal Planner (HQ, £9.99).